Zucchini Apple Breakfast Cake
By ANK15 on August 12, 2013
I have been trying to get this recipe posted for a week now but every time I sit down to work on it I end up get distracted. We have had a lot going on and a little one who has been quite the early riser lately. She is finally starting to realize that she isn't missing out on anything by waking up before 5 a.m. Lucky for me I had this healthy and deliciously sweet t breakfast cake ready to reheat in the mornings to help get my day going.
On a recent trip to the farmers market I came home with a bag full of zucchini. In my attempt to find some new and creative uses for this beloved vegetable I came across a recipe for zucchini apple breakfast cake. Cake for breakfast! I couldn't think of anything more wonderful.
I made several changes to the recipe including forgoing the cashew glaze that the original recipe called for. Instead I chose to add a lemon glaze which adds a light citrusy taste and additional touch of sweetness. Not as healthy but easily justified considering there is a fruit and vegetable inside the cake. Yes? Whether you keep this cake completely clean and use the cashew glaze or go the easier route and use the lemon glaze is your choice. I just don't recommend leaving it off seeing as you can't have cake without the icing.
This recipe is a great way to sneak some fruits and vegetables into your diet. The zucchini helps to moisten the cake while the pecans and quinoa adds a nice crunch.
I prepared this the night before so all I had to do when I woke up the next morning was put it in the oven to bake. A healthy and nutritious breakfast to enjoy with your family on a weekend morning.
Zucchini Apple Breakfast Cake
(Recipe adapted from be-healthful)
- 2 cups finely ground almond flour
- 1/2 cup quinoa flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 6 medjool dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup apple juice, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3/4 cup zucchini, grated (squeeze out the moisture over the sink)
- 1/4 cup apple, grated
– leave the peel on (squeeze out the moisture over the sink)
- 1/2 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- Juice from half a lemon
- 1 Tablespoon almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In a large bowl whisk together almond flour, quinoa flakes, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Place coconut oil, dates, apple juice, and honey in a blender. Process until smooth and transfer to the bowl of flour mix.
- Stir mixture until well combined, then fold in zucchini, grated apple, and pecans.
- Drop mixture into a greased 9x9 cake pan, place on the middle rack of the oven and cook for 40-50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes.
- Mix ingredients for the glaze and spread over the warm cake.
More Like This
Most Popular on BlogHer
By Melissa Ford
Most Popular on Cooking for Health
Recent Comments on Cooking for Health