It’s zucchini season folks. I’m getting lots of them growing in my garden and I’ve been making zucchini everythinglately. One afternoon when my sweet tooth was out in full force, I was staring at three gigantic zucchinis in my kitchen thinking, “there is no was I can wait for zucchini bread.” Enter chocolate chip zucchini cookies!
I love baking with zucchini because it adds so much moisture to whatever you bake it with. Even when putting together these cookies you might think at first that the batter might be too dry, but then you add the zucchini and everything comes together in a big, delicious mound of spoon-lickin’ goodness.
If you know me at all, you know I love any cookie that you can justify eating for breakfast. These cookies definitely get the breakfast seal of approval. Whole wheat flour, oats, and very little butter and sugar, plus lots of nutrients from the zucchini make these prefect for nibbling on before hitting the gym of running out the door to work.
You could definitely make these without the chocolate chips if you wanted to do without chocolate in the morning, but come on, who doesn’t need a little chocolate in the morning!?!?
Recipe adapted from Oatmeal, banana, & chocolate chip cookies
|Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cookies|
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 1/2 cups loosely packed shredded zucchini (from about 2 medium zucchinis)
- 1 ¼ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup chocolate chips (I use dark chocolate chip, but semisweet work too)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cream together butter and sugar with a wooden spoon
- Mix in beaten egg and vanilla
- Stir in flour, oats, soda, and salt
- Fold in zucchini and chocolate chips
- Spoon onto a baking sheet prepared with a silpat or parchment paper
- Bake 15-17 minutes, until cookies are golden brown