Google Search is undoubtedly the most popular search engine out there, and the team behind it is constantly evaluating how and where content appears in search results. If you’re a content creator, you’re probably familiar with the Core Algorithm update. This usually happens a couple of times per year and addresses a broad range of search factors. The just-released Product Reviews update is separate from the regular core updates but is still worth noting.
Here’s what you should know:
The update launched today and only applies to English language reviews for now. Why did Google decide to focus on product reviews? According to Google Search Central, “testing, experimenting, and review processes” reveal that “people appreciate product reviews that share in-depth research, rather than thin content that simply summarizes a bunch of products.”
This update targets the Google ranking system by “providing users with content that provides insightful analysis and original research, and is written by experts or enthusiasts who know the topic well.”
Creators in our community, especially those in the SHE Media Partner Network, know that quality content is the most important aspect of any blogging and marketing strategy. Without this, it can be very difficult to grow brand awareness, grow your audience, and cultivate lucrative deals. Google’s Product Reviews update only confirms that.
If you’re creating content, Google also shared a list of questions to consider while crafting product reviews. Consider these a checklist of sorts before you hit publish:
- Express expert knowledge about products where appropriate?
- Show what the product is like physically, or how it is used, with unique content beyond what’s provided by the manufacturer?
- Provide quantitative measurements about how a product measures up in various categories of performance?
- Explain what sets a product apart from its competitors?
- Cover comparable products to consider, or explain which products might be best for certain uses or circumstances?
- Discuss the benefits and drawbacks of a particular product, based on research into it?
- Describe how a product has evolved from previous models or releases to provide improvements, address issues, or otherwise help users in making a purchase decision?
- Identify key decision-making factors for the product’s category and how the product performs in those areas? For example, a car review might determine that fuel economy, safety, and handling are key decision-making factors and rate performance in those areas.
- Describe key choices in how a product has been designed and their effect on the users beyond what the manufacturer says?
Here’s more SEO advice for optimizing your content, whether it’s product-focused or not.
The SHE Media Partner Network helps content creators and entrepreneurs build sustainable businesses with dedicated support for managing ads, brand partnerships, and more. Apply now to join our mission-driven platform.