As we dive into 2022, all eyes continue to be on the creator economy. We’ve seen incredible growth in the community and as of September 2021, 123,000 LinkedIn members had “creator” in their job title. That’s a 15% jump from 2020 and over a 40% jump from 2019.
Even with that growth and engagement, I also know from my daily conversations and work with creators that content burnout can be real. My team is responsible for making sure that we are meeting creators’ needs so that they can help our members connect with each other and advance their careers. So in the season of resolutions and goals for the year ahead, I’m here to share some tips and tricks to help creators kick the year off on the right foot.
Experiment with something new
One thing I love about our creators is their adaptability and experimentation mindset. Give yourself a challenge–and your audience a fresh perspective–and try a new format you haven’t before. If you typically stick to short-form posts, try your hand at writing an article or newsletter. If you post a lot of images, give Live Video or in-feed video a shot. There’s no time like the present! To get you started, some great examples of content that drives engagement are:
- Newsletters help you build and activate your community of engaged followers. We’ve found that the most successful ones dive into your personal interests/areas of expertise, so pick something you’re passionate about and start writing.
- Videos create a more human way of sharing your content. It might feel outside your comfort zone, so start small with a recorded video post and work your way up to Live video (make sure creator mode is turned on!).
Support other creators
We all need a little more love in 2022. It has been amazing to watch creators connect with each other to share strategies for content creation and running their businesses. As a community of creators, you can lean on each other for support, learnings, and fueling insightful conversations. Here are some ways to break the ice:
- Start a group chat with some of your favorite creators to share tips with each other. While experiences are individual, the landscape is shared. Use each other’s insights to your advantage, knowledge is power! Engage on each other’s posts to drive shared success and a strong community.
- Collaborate on content that resonates with your audience. Oftentimes two is better than one, and the same goes for creator content. Not only do members love seeing collaborations from their favorite creators, but it will also expand your audience beyond loyal fans.
Lean on your regulars
I hear creators talk with passion about the community that always shows up for them and is ready to engage on anything they post. This community is incredibly valuable – think about how you can keep this group growing and engaged, using them as your sounding board for feedback. Here are a few examples of tapping your die-hards:
- Gather posting ideas from your regulars. They know you best, so ask them what they want to see! Their answers might request elaboration on posts that you’ve previously shared, an appetite for a new form of content, or surprise you entirely and ask to see a more personal side of you.
- Engage in the comments on your post to keep the conversation going. Like a celeb sighting, members love interacting with the creators they follow. The dialogue will spark insights and drive further viewership to your content.
We love watching the active creator community on LinkedIn come together and share powerful conversations around a multitude of topics – from the world of work to everyday life and mental health. Experts build engaged audiences around a niche expertise, and members are hungry for it! We hope these tips help you reach new heights in 2022, and encourage you to follow along for creator updates and tools here.
Subscribe to the BlogHer newsletter for more tactical advice, exclusive content, and timely event updates.