New Facebook Feed Changes — Advice for Publishers and Creators
It looks like Facebook might be continuing on a streak of mimicking the success of its competitors. Facebook, now known as Meta, will be undergoing some major changes very soon. Facebook will shift from a News Feed to a “Home” feed that features content discovery. Think Tik Tok or Instagram Reels, where the feed user experience is a mix of accounts you follow and engaging content supplied by an algorithm to deliver a personalized experience. With Facebook taking a step further into the entertainment and shopping arena, the question remains whether this strategy (that proved effective for its competitors), will be embraced by the Facebook community.
Facebook is on average a top traffic source, and no one is sure how this will affect publishers and creators just yet. However, creators can start to prepare ahead.
Advice for Publishers and Creators
Diversify your Traffic Sources
This is a reminder to grow your newsletter and explore more traffic sources – you don’t want all your eggs in one basket! Publishers should make the most of all their traffic sources so as to provide a balanced and diversified flow of traffic.
Here are some ways that you can diversity traffic sources:
- Syndication platforms – apply to syndication platforms using your RSS feed. Apply to Smart News, Flipboard, and Newsbreak.
- Strengthen your organic SEO. See how you can optimize your content for organic growth.
- Build your email list. Email newsletters are a sure way to grow and maintain an engaged audience
- Grow your Pinterest and other social platforms. Pinterest is a significant traffic source.
- Redirect your traffic from social platforms. For SHE Media Collective Publishers
- Paid advertising. A good option to supplement your organic traffic and get a boost
Diversify Content Types
Facebook is deprioritizing audio and podcast features. If these are central to your brand, explore how you can connect with your Facebook audience through other types of content formats. Here are a few ways you can diversify the types of content you are putting out:
- Polls are quizzes are a proven way to increase engagement
- Collaborations provide access to new audiences
- User-generated content
- Content Curation – Share interesting content created by others alongside your opinions/reactions!
Optimize your Posting Strategy.
Track your Facebook Engagement rate and optimize your posting strategy. Follow the trend — if Facebook is prioritizing shopping content, make sure your Facebook content and posting strategy take that into consideration.
Keep an eye out for more updates from us and get more social media growth tips!